What To Do In An Electrical Emergency
Electrical emergencies cover things like fire, electrocution & power loss
Electrical fires are different to some other fires and need to be dealt with carefully. Don’t douse electrical fires with water or any other electrically conductive substance. Electrical fires should be put out with extinguishers containing carbon dioxide, sodium bicarbonate or ammonium phosphate. If the fire happens at night, turn the power off at the mains and use a torch to investigate. Electrical fires often involve damaged cabling that can cause a short circuit. A fire in the roof is particularly worrying as it can spread quickly.
If a person becomes stuck to an appliance while being electrocuted, bystanders should not try to pull them away. The power needs to be turned off at the socket or the wire pulled free. Muscle cramping is common after electrocution and in itself is not a sign that the victim is dead or near death. Call an ambulance while the victim is given CPR or other necessary treatment.
Planned electricity company power cuts may be inconvenient, but it’s not an electrical emergency. However, a complete loss of power that only affects your home, is an electrical emergency needing a professional electrician to fix.
An emergency waiting to happen? Call an electrician if you’re not sure!
If any device or appliance is giving off a smell of burning you should contact an emergency electrician immediately. Electrical fires can start with no other warning signs other than a burning smell so if you notice one, it’s a warning sign that there could be a serious issue about to cause a lot of damage if it’s left untreated.
Sparks from an outlet when plugged or unplugged – This could potentially cause an electrical fire so be sure to get all your plugs serviced if sparks are an issue.
Dimming or flickering lights can be indicative of an issue with your wiring. This can pose a massive danger to the safety of your home and your family so it’s not an issue that should be overlooked. Despite the age of your home – whether it’s brand new or old – be sure to get it looked at as soon as you can.
If the circuit breaker is tripping regularly, it’s a sign that your wiring needs to be re-done as it’s not capable of catering for the demands that are being put on it in terms of energy output.
An overheated plug can become a much bigger issue if it’s not looked at. The usual cause is a loose wire – either in the socket or in the plug – but it’s still cause for concern.
A loose electrical outlet has the potential to start a fire behind the wall.
If your lights in your house are flickering sporadically, it can be a symptom of a serious electrical problem lurking within your home. The same applies to appliances if power comes and goes to other electrical devices at random, so it’s very important that you call emergency electrical services right away to ensure your family’s safety and prevent more serious issues.
Electrical shocks when touching a plug or cord could lead to devastating damage or even death so it’s essential that the relevant plugs / cables are inspected and repaired by a professional.
Electrical faults can cause both property damage and human injury if you ignore them for any length of time before repair. Electrical systems are complex, so don’t take risks when it comes to your safety. Call a qualified electrician if you have any of the above faults, or you suspect any danger. Remember; it’s always better to be safe than sorry.